Saturday, January 30, 2010

30Jan10

Breakfast
  • 1 c 2% milk
  • 1 little raspberry yoghurt
  • 1 fried egg
  • 6 triscuits with white cheddar
Notes: Omgzsnowday! (not that I had to go anywhere anyways, but still.)

T called last night, about 3:30am. We ended up talking for about 4 hours. I got sleep between then and the time we'd gotten off the phone earlier (a little before 1) but he didn't. Covered all sorts of topics, from past regrets to (always oh-so-tentatively) future plans.

I'm worried. About him, about me, and especially about us. I just really don't know what to do. I don't want to share too much here, as anonymous as it is. But if you're reading this, just know that you are my choice.

Lunch
  • 2 chocolate chip pancakes
  • 2 small glasses 2% milk
Notes: After lunch I was reading and fell asleep. Among other, less vivid things, I dreamed that I met with Boss F and told her what I really thought: that after a year and a half of pulling my hair out, losing sleep and weight (unintentionally, that is) and jeopardizing relationships over the stress from learning how to do my job well, I both knew how to run the place better than anyone, including she and her husband, and was being unfairly passed over for what I deserved. And since all of this was the case, I told her, I wouldn't be seeing her again.

After that, I dreamed that we were on a road trip, delivering furniture or something like that - Papa was driving and the rest of us were in the back of the truck, holding things down from sliding. Then something happened out in the mountains - the trailer came unhitched, perhaps - and we had to stop.

We went into an old abandoned farmhouse - plastered white walls, caked with soil and in need of a good scrub and repaint; wooden floors, lovingly sanded and finished and covered with woven rugs. The sun was setting and we carried candles around the house, exploring the three floors of the layout.

It was built into the side of a hill, with steep stairwells up and down taking up most of the space in the first room we entered. Upstairs, we could see a bathroom with a huge old claw-footed tub, and bedrooms clustered beyond. Downstairs was a cellar on level with the ground on the other side of the house, still stocked with shallow boxes filled with sand to store potatoes and apples, and heavy wooden doors leading out into a small dusty yard bounded by kitchen gardens, with fields and forests beyond. On the main level, as on the other two, the two wings of the house - great room, complete with a fireplace, ready with wood stacked beside it; and kitchen, with a large wood-burning stove, once-bright patterns painted on the walls and dry herbs and garlic still dangling within easy reach - reached forward to the left and right.

It's hard to explain how the footprint of the house was laid out, but try this: hold your arms out, at right angles to each other, and at 45 degrees to the center line of your body, as though you are turning your back to a cold wind and protecting someone in front of you. This "crooked" design kept the house protected the house from cold northern winds and created a small, sheltered microclimate at the back of the house, toward the south.

I know this is a long tangential post for what is still supposed to be just a food and exercise log, but it's very important that I write these details down and not forget them. This is what I need to do, and this is where I need to go. It's where I will be.

Waiting for dinner
  • 1 string cheese
  • 15 chocolate chips
  • about 5 triscuits
Dinner
  • 1 c dal
  • 1/3 c cucumber raita
  • 1/2 round multigrain flatbread
  • 1/4 c couscous
  • 4 c tea of various kinds

No comments:

Post a Comment