Wednesday, April 28, 2010

28Apr10

Breakfast-ish: ~11am
  • 2 slices of rosemary sourdough bread, toasted in the pan, with the following ingredients added to make a sandwich
  • 1 fried egg
  • 1 oz provolone, melted onto the toast
  • 1/2 small tomato, sliced
  • 1 c whole milk
Supper: ~4:15pm
  • steamed together and then stir-fried in a little butter: 1 small onion, sliced; 1 small apple, sliced; 1/4 Napa cabbage, julienned. salt and pepper added
  • 1 salmonburger
  • 1 c 2% milk
  • 1 oz provolone
Crossfit!
  • Warm-up: Cindy, done for 10 minutes: AMRAP of 5 jumping pull-ups, 10 pushups and 15 squats. After about 3 rounds Bea changed me to band pull-ups; I have no idea how many rounds I got in.
  • 400-m walk (yes, just a walk) with a 25-lb KB in each hand. HOLY FUCK. This is SO much harder than it seems.
  • 10 minutes (we were going to do 15 but Bea cut off the last 5 because people looked tired. Boo.) of 10 sit-ups and 10 back extensions done every minute on the minute. That is, do the 10 of each and then rest till the next minute started, or nearer the end, if you weren't quite done with BEs just can the rest and start the next round. There was only one round where I didn't finish everything but that's because I somehow have a massive invisible hurty-as-hell bruise on my ass that makes sit-ups no fun whatsoever. I swear, it feels like my bone is bruised! Grr.
  • 4 minutes of Tabata American KB swings, with a 30-lb KB. 20 seconds on, 10 seconds off. "Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots," which is just over 4 minutes long, came on the mix as soon as we started. WIN.
  • Bea made me try out band pull-ups with a MUCH weaker band (green?) than I'd used for Cindy (tan? very thick). Yes, at the end of a workout that worked arms like yeah whoa. And I kicked ASS :D She says she never wants to see me doing jumping pull-ups again, and I have to try it out with one of the thinnest bands next time I come in (before the workout, thankfully).
Dinner
  • 1 c amam's bean-corn-chowdah stuff, with about 1/2 c whole milk, 1 pouch tuna and a little salt added
  • 1 c 2% milk
  • 1 little blueberry yoghurt
Notes: A pretty good day. I cleaned up my room some more - moved furniture around a couple days ago and there are still boxes and piles of books everywhere. It's so hard to strike the perfect balance between bedroom, closet, office and chill space in one weird-shaped room with no built-in storage except for the space under a window seat. Also I have a ton of books. It's a little crazy. I think I'm addicted.

T and I were talking about all the possibilities we both need to choose from right now, and he brought up the idea that I could work on getting back to Hiram sooner than I'd been planning and we'd get an apartment together. Now, part of me is jumping up and down and saying "He brought it up without provocation? Hell yes! Give me an hour to pack!" and the other part is thinking about all those dozens and dozens of times I heard the advice to never ever move in with each other if the primary reason is money. I don't know if it's the very primary in this case, but it's second at best. Still, it's something to consider.

Midnight snack
  • 1 c skim milk, nuked for a couple minutes, and then...
  • 2 t slippery elm powder whisked into the hot milk, along with
  • 4 very heaping Ts of yoghurt
  • about 1/2 t of vanilla
  • about 1.5 t of honey
Notes: T is stressed. And that sometimes affects his diet a lot more than I wish it did. This is partly a calming late-night hot drink for myself and partly an experiment to make simple, tasty, nutritious things that can help with stress, etc.

The slippery elm is used a lot as a nutritious gruel (yes, that term is used way more often than necessary) for people who need some nutritional bulking up. I've put it in my oatmeal a lot before and liked that...and I'm thinking I'll stick to that application. In liquid it seems to make the slippery "jelly" it's known for just around the little granules of powder, making for a rather gloppy texture with distinctly more solid bits suspended throughout the whole. It's not horrible - I finished the whole thing! - but then again, I'm used to it. Perhaps it would work better if I let it sit for a while and finish gelling, maybe blending it up after several minutes.

I've done drinks with just milk blended with yoghurt, with or without flavor, and they've turned out fantastically. I've always done them cold before, though. Should have tried the slippery elm and yoghurt separately in conjunction with the hot milk, as now I can't tell if the texture was entirely due to the former or maybe the yoghurt was curdling a little. Next time I'll try just milk and yoghurt and vanilla, no sweetener. And no skim milk. Ew.

2 comments:

  1. Haha...I love you too sis, and your yogurt, but I'm stuck on the store bought stuff. Crossfit sounds awesome! Makes me want to go! But I still love my elliptical and my pilates classes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds awesome because it is awesome! I'm doing a bootcamp for gymnastic skizzillz soon. Excited! But if you started now you'd probably have to double your food. I'm eating as much as you are if not more, and still losing. It's that intense. Some of the crazy elite guys on Zone eat like a cup of almonds at each meal just to maintain their weight.

    ReplyDelete